History records show that the first Mass was said in Freeport in 1916; however, it wasn’t until 1928 that land was purchased by Sacred Heart’s pastor, Father Joseph Quinn, for a mission church in this community. In 1933 a small metal building located in what is now the church parking lot on School Street, was dedicated as St. Joseph’s Church.
Part Two: The Road towards becoming a ParishFund raising began during the 1940’s for a more permanent structure to be built on the land temporarily leased to a gas station. In the 1950’s the gas station exploded. The church took back its lease and continued fund raising while still using the metal building as a church. In the 1960’s a heating stove in the metal building malfunctioned, leaving the interior covered with soot. The building, now unfit for use, was sold and moved.
Part Three: Renovations
Owning land but no building, the community continued to worship in the nearby Nordica Movie Theater, where smells of popcorn lingered from the night before and the ticket booth doubled as the confessional.
Slow moving fund raising efforts were given a boost with a significant donation given anonymously on the condition that the church would be renamed for St. Jude. Construction began in 1964 and the completed church was dedicated on Easter Sunday of 1966. Over the next 30 years the parish hall was finished and the main church renovated.
Today St. Jude is an active church in the midst of Freeport’s thriving shopping district, working in partnership with Sacred Heart, Holy Martyrs, and St. Gregory as the Parish of the Holy Eucharist to proclaim and celebrate our faith.
1966 - 1967 Fr. James Daly
1967 - 1968 Fr. Henry Pender
1968 - 1973 Fr. Frances LeTourneau
1973 - 1978 Fr. Charles M. Murphy
1978 - 1984 Fr. Conrad L'Heureux
1984 - 1992 Fr. Roger Chabot
1992 - 2000 Fr. Richard O'Donnell
2000 - 2005 Msgr. Paul Stefanko
2005 - 2010 Fr. Raymond Pickard
2010 - 2012 Fr. Joseph Ford
2012- Fr. Daniel Greenleaf